Thursday, February 13, 2020

Christi Crux Est Mihi Lux


Forty years ago, I matriculated at Concordia College, Portland, Oregon. By doing so, I was continuing a family tradition. My Grandfather Emil had attended the school in the 1910s, my Uncle Bob had done so in the mid-1940s, and my dad a few years after that. When I helped to research and co-edit the chapter on Concordia for the book that commemorated the centennial anniversary of the NW District of the LCMS, I learned that my grandfather had even taught at the college in the 1930s.[i] My wife, my sister, and one of my cousins are also graduates of the institution, which today is called Concordia University. Little did I know, when I was student-body president in '82-‘83 and regularly representing my fellow students at monthly faculty meetings, that a decade later I would join CUP’s faculty as a young assistant professor. During the ten years that I taught theology and the humanities there and directed its pre-seminary program, I was promoted to associate professor and then professor.

Image result for photo of Luther Hall concordia portland
Luther Hall (photo copied from Concordia's webpage)

I fully intended to serve at Concordia until I retired, but that was not to be. Sixteen years  ago, several events led me to realize I needed to leave and seek a calling elsewhere. While the accusations of “teaching false doctrine” followed me to Valpo, I was protected here in ways that were not possible at Portland. Today I am grateful that my family and I made the move in 2004, even though we really didn’t know what would happen after that first year. Suffice it to say, the pastures have been greener, for all sorts of reasons.

But today I am also very sad, still in shock, really, for I learned this week that my undergraduate alma mater, where I had also taught for a decade, will be closing at the end of April. To read that announcement, you can go here. To read an article on the closing, you can go here.

I feel deep sorrow and sadness for the faculty and staff who will lose their jobs at the end of April. Angry and distraught students are scrambling to figure out how to complete their degree programs. It is a terrible, tragic mess.

Just a few years ago, Concordia had 8,000 registered students—most of whom received their instruction entirely online. Only a small portion of those students lived on campus or commuted to their classes there. While I recognize that the Concordia I experienced as an undergraduate had to change, if it was to survive in these challenging times, the changes that it underwent were obviously not all for the good.

Part of the decline of the school, it seems to me, was the decision to move away from its core grounding in the liberal arts. There is no way that 8000 students, most of whom were studying completely online, could ever grasp or embrace the Christian-liberal-arts ethos that needed to remain at the heart of the school’s mission. By going in the direction it did, I feel that Concordia lost its soul, its center, its grounding, its focus. Hopefully someone someday will uncover the full details of the decline and demise of Concordia-Portland.


I would invite your prayers for those deeply affected by this tragic development.

In the wake of this shocking news, I find myself also giving thanks for the classic, Christ-centered, liberal-arts education I received at Concordia, for the leadership skills I learned there, and for the love of learning that was faithfully and passionately handed on to me. That kind of education may be going the way of the dinosaur. I'm grateful that I got to experience it when I did.

I’m thinking in particular of the professors who have meant so much to me over these past four decades, whose lives and teaching have shaped who I am, and who were absolutely crucial in helping me to discern my own vocation in the church and the academy:

·       Dick Reinisch+, who taught me Latin and Greek; who transmitted a love for classical culture; whose dry wit made education fun; who taught me the gospel as we studied the Gospels and the letters of Paul; and who, each spring, competed with me and a few others on the tennis court. (I will never forget the joyful experience of meeting up with Dick and Irene in Greece in the summer after I had graduated. I think of that trip every time my wife, who is Greek, serves us ouzo or retsina. Dick made it possible for me to join CUP’s faculty, where I then also taught Greek for that decade.)

·        John Scheck, who taught me philosophy and American history; who as my academic adviser patiently helped a struggling freshman mature just enough to get his academic feet more firmly planted midway through his sophomore year; who transmitted a love for the liberal arts and a hopeful vision of Christian humanism, one that included a deep appreciation for the music of the church. John’s gospel-centered, humor-filled preaching has remained the gold-standard model, the ideal.

·        Hans Spalteholz, who taught me to love the Scriptures, to wrestle with them for the sake of faithful interpretation, and to apply them to the world’s deep needs and hurts; who taught me the distinction between law and gospel by unpacking the theology of the Lutheran Confessions; whose love of books and learning and of the German language has rubbed off on me; who pointed me the way to the University of Chicago; who later also made room for me to join Concordia’s faculty; who has become a second father to me, a spiritual counselor in times of crises, and a comrade in various book projects.

·        Dick Hill, who taught me the power of stories, of literature; who invited me to test interpretations of American culture and history; who was the first to show me how a film could be more than just a good visual experience; and who also encouraged me to follow the academic path. Dick has become one of my closest friends.

·        Sid Johnson, who, by meeting one-on-one with me every week during my freshman year of humanities, taught me how to write; who helped me to discover my own voice; who showed how the gospel can be dramatized; whose sermons are also gold standards of evangelical proclamation.

·        Frank Gebhardt, who instilled in me a love for rocks (I still have his geology textbook on my shelf!).

·        Chuck Kunert and Johnnie Driessner, who shaped my understanding of the sciences and their relationship to Christian faith.

·        Julie Rowland, whose spiritual depth and ecumenical spirit have been so influential on my own Christian pilgrimage; who patiently helped a mathematically-challenged sophomore to pass the math requirement.

·        E. W. Hinrichs+, whose kindness and compassion were evident every day in the classroom, and who taught me about Old Testament “Heilsgeschichte,” a concept that would later be the subject of my doctoral dissertation (and first book).

·        Art Wahlers+, who as “Mr. Concordia,” embodied the spirit of the place, the memory of the institution, and who impressed upon me the importance of using concrete examples and analogies in instruction and proclamation.
   
·        Dale Fisk, whom I never had as a classroom teacher but whose musical leadership and vocal performances led me to experience the beauty and joy of classical Lutheran chorales (He knows that my deepest undergraduate regret is that I never joined the choir.) [Addendum, 2/14: Tim and Nancy Nickel belong on this list, too, for they introduced me to a composer named J. S. Bach, whose musical offerings have become a part of my daily bread; indeed, this semester I am again teaching my course on Luther and Bach. I think of the Nickels and their own offertories given the the Chapel of the Upper Room, every time I walk to that class....]

·        Rhonda Miller, who also modeled Christian humanism and humility; whose humor was infectious; who also unveiled connections between drama and the gospel.

·       Tom Wolbrecht, who as dean of students taught me about grace and compassion; who also taught me the basics of the Christian faith; who was an important mentor to me, especially when I served in student government.

·        Larry Gross, whose course on Christian art and architecture opened my eyes to the beauty of grace and led me to journey through Europe with fellow Concordian, Steve Chambers, in the summer of ’84. (In just a few weeks I’ll be co-leading a six-week course on Christian art and architecture at my church, in preparation for the European tour I’m leading in July.)

·        Dwaine Brandt, who taught me Luther and Lutheran theology; who opened my eyes to the great problems in German history, matters that have become the focus for my own scholarly work.

·        E. P. Weber+, who as president regularly took me to lunch to find out what the students were thinking on this and that subject; who taught me the finer points of synodical politics; who continually brought whatever conversation we were having back to the questions, “so what?,” and “how does this issue/problem connect to Christ and the gospel?”

To be sure, Concordia had its flaws and weaknesses. For most of its history, it was very small and truly parochial. Its non-human resources were limited. Its institutional challenges, both financial and missional, were often daunting. I don’t want to paint a too rosy picture. But what the faculty and administration had to work with was always put to the best use.

The education I received has served me well as a pastor and professor. I’m grateful to all those who were my teachers in those years ('80-'84). Indeed, that is what the word "Concordia" means to me, the faculty and staff who embodied that "Christi-crux-est-mihi-lux" [“The Cross of Christ Is Light to Me”] liberal-arts tradition that was lovingly and faithfully passed on to me and my generation of students there. That tradition and motto live. A few of us are its "living letters" (cf. 2 Cor. 3).

The “spirit” of Concordia is nicely, beautifully captured in the school song, written by Professor Scheck. Permit me to end this post by quoting it here:

Out of darkness into the light of God
We have been brought by Christ our Lord.
Called by his Spirit into this fellowship
We work and pray with one accord.
Living together, serving each other
Striving always for harmony.
This is our motto, we of Concordia: 
The cross of Christ is light to me.



[i] Hans Spalteholz, Matthew L. Becker, and Dwaine Brandt, eds., God Opens Doors: A Centennial Celebration of the Northwest District of The Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod (Portland: Northwest District of the LCMS, 2000), 111-131. E. P. Weber, who had been president of the school for my first three years there, wrote the bulk of that chapter (“You Must Grow Your Own”), but Prof. Spalteholz and I made significant editorial adjustments to it, e.g., adding some references to individuals beyond Dr. Weber’s principal focus, which was the school’s infrastructure and building projects. The quote, “You Must Grow Your Own,” comes from an address that Dr. Francis Pieper delivered at the 1903 Northwest District Convention. When discussing the need for pastors in the district, Dr. Pieper famously stated to the twenty-nine delegates, “You must grow your own crop.” My grandfather was among the first pastors in that “home-grown harvest.” My uncle and I also came back to the district to serve as pastors. My sister served as a parochial-school teacher and my cousin as a director of Christian education. Both are now working as public-school teachers.

12 comments:

  1. I had similar experiences when I was at Concordia Portland in 95-99, with some of the same amazing professors. I was also blessed to have you as a professor and I am thankful for your impact on my education. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karina Savage : Matt, you continue to amaze me. Thank you for putting into words my own thoughts of the Concordia we knew (82-87) and the people that shaped my life. If only I was encouraged and pointed the way to Chicago, my life would be completely different! PAX!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reminding me of many of the splendid professors I had who gave me an excellent education at Concordia ('69-'71) (even though I didn't start out as the best of students).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Matt, for sharing your memories. The years 1980 - 1984 at Concordia hold many wonderful memories for me as well. Margarete Dohring (Berndt)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were one of my favorite teachers. I still remember and reflect on the critical thinking you taught in your classes. I love teaching at a Christian school today, and believe that God truly built that love in me through my experiences at Concordia. (‘96-‘00). Thank you for this post and sharing your memories of these wonderful leaders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr. Becker, I have thought of you often throughout my graduate (seminary) education, my deep involvement in a beloved LCMS church, and my 14 years working in an ELCA University. I took several of your courses at CU, remember the "Who is Martin Marty" videos you played in the lead up to his speech at commencement, and have processed from afar with other CU grads who deeply love the church your entanglements and struggles. Although a generation behind you, I ressonate greatly with your lament about the changing character of higher education and the decline of the true liberal arts Christian ethos. The power of this mission to create servant leaders, citizens, and persons of deep, thinking and faith-driven character is immense. We struggle against a rising tide of cheapened, commodified "education" that may produce bankable skill, but leave our souls bone dry and thirsting for wisdom. Thank you for your vulnerable and honest lament. Lizz Barton (Rupp)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matt, we gave you a bunch of crap in South Hall, but your blog is spot on. Our Staff during those years would rival any university's in terms of ethics, philosophy and morals. It's sad to see how this institution allowed to be ended by the LCMS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Matt thank you for this. I have fond memories of my time in all of my theology classes. As a DCE I was able to pass much of what you taught me to my congregation. Now as a Director of Active Living ofin Alla senior living community I continue to pass on the lessons I have learned! The professors you mentioned here have had an impact that goes far beyond anything we could fathom. The legacy of CU will continue on for generations to come. Heather (Donnan) Ballman ('98-'02)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your ministry among us, Matt. Your close contact on the Northwest District Board of Directors were years of cherished friendship and service. The Concordia connection with my 15 years on Board of Regents and NOW Board of Directors form a shared mosaic of memories, Matt. Concordia brought them all together. The Northwest District will never be the same without Concordia which was started by the District's challenge to "grow our own". You ARE one of our own. Warren Schumacher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this, brother Matt. Concordia was, indeed, a very special place. I am saddened beyond words at the news of its closing but through the dark clouds of my current emotions bright beams of light keep shining through: you and all my former colleagues and the wonderful students who made teaching such a joy for the 47 years I served there. Chuck Kunert

    ReplyDelete
  11. I grow up with Larry Gross and his brothers and sister. I would like.to.connect with them. My.husband attended CPU in.the late 60s. Use lornakee@yahoo.com. my former name was Mueller.

    ReplyDelete